Sunday, January 18, 2009

Role models


This layout is for Debby Dare's All About You in 52 challenge, week 2, "What did you want to be when you grow up?" The hidden journaling is a letter to my Mom and reads, " I always wanted to be a teacher - only the subject matter varied - and you were the reason I felt that way. You showed me on a daily basis how teachers affect the kids they teach. You showed me that being a teacher made you a better parent, and being a parent made you a better teacher. After you passed away it became even more evident that you affected the lives of so many people and how much they respected and admired you. It was only then that I realized that you earned that praise not because of the kind of teacher you were, but because of the kind of person you chose to be."

And that thought has been on my mind alot these last couple of years, as I approach retirement. The question of what kind of lasting effect I may have had upon my students. The further question of how many students I may have negatively affected by a bad day, or a thoughtless comment. That thought really bothers me......

I cherish each time a former student stops in my room to let me know how they are doing and I think about them much more often than they probably think I do - hey, they were "my kids", especially the ones who took multiple art classes - and a mother never forgets. We'd joke about putting a cot in my room because they'd spend so much time there. I have their pictures hanging on my office window, some of which are fading and curling on the edges, each one with treasured comments on the back. I'll be taking those with me when I leave. Memories are important, for all our memories are what make us who we are.....

1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous layout you did for Week 2! And I love the picture of you on your blog...you really look good in those colors. I myself hate pics so was hard to find one of me. I do love your area & we take drives occasionally up there & my inlaws stay on Squirrel Lake every July. So howdy neighbor!

    ReplyDelete