Saturday, January 17, 2009

thanks, mom


My mom was a music teacher and I grew up with music always in our house. I remember many evenings with our house filled with high school students waiting their turn to practice their solos and ensembles in our living room. If that piano could talk, what tales it would tell! I didn't realize how wonderful my life was at that time - it was my life, and I knew no different. But as I grew, I realized how lucky I was to have the family I had. And mum was the hub - she was the glue. She was a strong, smart, talented woman. She passed away when my twins were only 6 months old - they never got to know her and she never got to see them grow up. My oldest son was so close to her - she was his best bud and he was only 3 when she died. I remember holding him in my arms as we both sobbed. I don't think he really remembers her now, but that moment is forever etched in my mind.

I completed this layout for a challenge that asks us to review our life. In particular, this layout is for the challenge of Who Influenced Your Life the Most. The music on the transparency is from Phantom of the Opera..."Wishing you were somehow here again". I played that song over and over again on the piano, with tears streaming down my face, as I worked through my grief. I still play it when I'm feeling down and alone.

The journalling on the side of the layout says: 'Mom, of course you are the greatest influence upon my life. You gave me life. You taught me to love music, to love education, to love my family and my children unconditionally. You respected my choices and gave me your support. As I grew to be a woman, you became my very best friend. You listened to me, laughed with me, shared with me the joy of learning to be a mother to my own children. I wish so much you could've been here to enjoy my three sons - to be a part of their lives. You would've been so proud....I miss you...still. I still need your guidance, listen for your voice, but now I hear it in my heart.'

No comments:

Post a Comment